The Trump administration on Monday signed a new executive order that would “zero tolerance” for domestic violence and sexual assault.
The order will be issued on Tuesday, and the president will sign it after signing another order on Tuesday that will expand protections for victims of domestic violence.
White House press secretary Sean Spicer told reporters that the order would create a “truly national and universal response to violence against women and girls.”
“The administration has taken a bold and aggressive approach to protecting women and our communities,” Spicer said.
“The new order will take a long-overdue step towards ending the epidemic of violence against American women and will provide more support and resources for victims and survivors.”
According to the order, the Department of Justice will “ensure that no federal funds are used to pay for any activities, or other benefits, that are inconsistent with the purposes of the Violence Against Women Act, including but not limited to, providing services to domestic violence survivors.”
The order will also direct the Department to implement a “gender-based quota system” for federal grants and contracts that “would ensure that federal grants are awarded to organizations that serve men and women who are at risk for domestic abuse and sexual violence.”
The administration is also directed to “ensuring that all federal grants awarded to localities will be awarded to gender-neutral funding for the development of programs that address gender-based violence, and to eliminate the gender-specific allocation of certain federal funds.”
The administration is “working to identify ways to reduce the frequency and severity of domestic and sexual assaults in the United States,” Spicer added.
“We know that we have more work to do, but we will not stand by as women and men are brutalized, or their lives are ruined,” Trump said in a statement Monday.
Trump’s order will come at a time when Trump has been criticized for his past comments about sexual assault, with many women calling into question his actions and actions that he took.
Earlier this month, the president announced he was canceling the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which protects undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S. as children from deportation.
In a statement, the White House said Trump was “reaffirming the commitment to protecting all Americans, including undocumented immigrants, who are the victims of violent crime, including domestic violence.”
It added that the president would “continue to work with Congress to enact the best reforms to protect Americans, and also work with states to strengthen their laws to help victims of violence and their families.”